1. Have you ever had experiences in which God seemed to be speaking to you through nature, mathematics, science, music or art? How did these experiences affect your belief in God?
2. Johnson describes various "cosmic coincidences" that are particular conditions required for the existence of life. Do you think that all of these special circumstances could be the result of chance? Why or why not?
3. Johnson points out the complex interactions in our environment that support life, and how water, light, carbon and oxygen all have structures that specifically allow for human existence. In addition, DNA is unique in its ability to replicate human life. What might this tell us about the existence of God and humans' place in the universe?
4. Johnson postulates that perhaps the fact that you are thinking right now about the origin of the universe suggests the existence of a divine Mind behind it all. The ability to reason and wonder about grand matters like this goes beyond our need to physically survive. Do you think the similarity between the order in your mind and the order in the universe suggests the existence of God?
5. Do you think that nature alone gives enough evidence for the existence of a creator God, or are more signs needed?
6. What things in nature do you personally observe that suggest they came from one source?
7. Do signs of intelligent design in the universe affect how you live your life? How so?